Monday, January 11, 2016

I've Never Donated Blood


I realize this is something that I probably should have done by now.  I don't love needles (but I mean, does anybody love needles?), but I'm not terrified of them either.  I've had my blood taken before and I get the flu shot every year like a responsible citizen.  But despite the millions of blood drives that have gone on around me, I've never signed up. 

I'm so excited!...Also, I'm pretty sure Amy
made fun of me for this picture.
So Amy, being the lovely friend that she is, went with me to give blood for my first time.  I filled out their questionnaire (which has all kinds of weird questions), and I passed with flying colors. They also did the finger prick which daaang that hurts, and long story short, I was cleared to give blood.

And here's where it turned into an unpleasant experience. 

The nurse couldn't get the needle inside of my vein.  She could see the vein but every time she tried to push the needle inside, instead of going in, it would just push the vein out of the way.  So then this other nurse noticed what was happening and he came over to try and had the same problem. He told me I had 'wiggly' veins.  They never actually took the needle out of my arm; they just sat there for what seemed like forever twisting it around inside of my arm.  I couldn't watch because it was making me queasy, not that I needed to though since I could feel everything they were doing. It didn't necessary hurt but definitely wasn't pleasant either. I was really close to just telling them to take it out and let me leave because it was starting to make me anxious. But then they finally figured it out and whoolah! blood started flowing.

Finally got the needle
in and now life is good.
Everything went just peachy for probably the first 3 quarters of the actual donation part.  But then, very suddenly, I looked up and the entire world around me seemed to be spinning. And then I could feel my consciousness waning and I panicked because I really did not want to pass out. I glanced around but neither of my nurses were anywhere in sight so I called out to the girl across the room and said, surprisingly calm, "I think I'm about to pass out". I think I told her just in time because by the time she came over, I was basically hyperventilating. 

The nurse laid me all the way back and put wet rags on my head and chest because I was burning up like crazy.  Then she made me alternate putting each of my legs in the air and had me repeatedly cough -- apparently that helps with the whole breathing thing?  She obviously didn't realize that I did not have enough mind power left to accomplish both of those things at the same time and she kept getting onto me for stopping one of them.  It seemed to take every ounce of willpower just to maintain consciousness -- how was I supposed to focus on two other tasks as well?

Look how happy I am
that I almost passed out.
One thing that I did think was a little weird since I've never really heard other people talk about having this experience, but practically my entire body went kind of numb.  It started in my fingers and toes but then it spread through my entire arms and legs.  Everything was that horrible tingly sensation but a million times worse than I had ever had it before. Maybe most people who get to that point have passed out by then? 

I don't think I had entirely rational thoughts during the last few minutes. I mean, mostly I was telling myself over and over not to pass out, but I do also recall at one point thinking "So this is what death by vampire feels like." Yep. A little weird and dramatic but probably accurate. 

You should all be happy to know that I finished without passing out, though (go me!).  And, overall, I am very happy that I donated. My blood was sent to Camden, New Jersey where I probably saved some lives.  However, given the circumstances, it will most likely be a while before I attempt that again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment